The history of Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences can be traced back to the interwar period, owing to two enlightened individuals, Georgios Frangoudis and Alexandros Pantos. Despite being named after the latter, it was Frangoudis who (Limassol 1869 – Athens 1939) who was the true founder of Panteion.
The venture to establish a School of Political Sciences started in 1924, when Frangoudis founded the association of Educational Renaissance. In 1927, the association undertook to construct the building that was to house the School in Kallithea. In June 1930, when the money Frangoudis had managed to put together with great effort – mainly from donations from Greeks living abroad – ran out, Alexandros Pantos passed away. The then Prime Minister of Greece, Eleftherios Venizelos, as executor of Pantos’ will,
granted his last wish and approved the fortune he bequeathed to the School for the completion of its construction. The inauguration ceremony took place on 18 November 1930, while in 1931, the School was renamed Panteios School of Political Sciences, in honour of Alexandros Pantos. The initial study programme had five fields: 1. Politics, 2. Law, 3. Economics, 4. Sociology, Criminology and Corrections, 5. Journalism, Geography and Philosophy.
In 1939, the School was renamed Panteion Higher Education School of Political Sciences and Public Servants, aiming to offer undergraduate and postgraduate education to public servants. In 1967, the new wing of the School and the landscaping were completed. In 1989, the School was converted into the Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences.